1 egg yolk
1½ tsp salt
1 pinch grated nutmeg
½ bunch sage
80g onion, finely chopped
Salt & pepper
50ml white wine
- Clean the potatoes and steam on shelf level 3 on Steam setting 3 at 99°C for 50-60 minutes, depending on size. Let them cool completely, then peel and pass through potato ricer.
- Form a dough with potatoes, flour, egg yolk, salt and nutmeg. Divide into five and roll each piece into thumb-thick ‘ropes’, lightly sprinkling the surface with flour so that the dough does not stick.
- Cut ropes into 2cm pieces and place on baking tray dusted with flour. Steam the gnocchi on shelf level 2 on Steam setting 3 at 99°C for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce, snip sage leaves from stems and set aside 8 leaves for garnish, finely chopping the rest. Zest and juice the lemon.
- Sauté chopped onion in the butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add white wine and let it bubble for 2 minutes, add cream and reduce to two-thirds. Add chopped sage leaves, lemon zest and lemon juice.
Toss steamed gnocchi in sauce, then serve on preheated plates and garnish with sage leaves, with a little grated Parmesan to taste, plus salt and pepper.
Gnocchi works best when made from floury or starchy potatoes which are not too young – last year’s crop would be best. Ideally, cook them the day before
and leave overnight in the refrigerator.